Your portfolio is ready to show in an art gallery. You are excited but overwhelmed on how to get this accomplished. Below are 10 steps that will help you achieve your goal.
- Before getting your work into a gallery you must determine what medium your work falls into. Sending your work to random galleries will result in it being overlooked. Once your medium is determined it will be easy to narrow down the list of galleries.
- Referral from another artist who already works in a reputable gallery is the best way to get your work known and recognized. But, if you are new to the art world this may not be an option.
- If you are a relatively unknown artist you must begin to market yourself. This is done by going to openings to meet other artists. At the opening discus your work making the gallery anxious to see and have your art displayed there.
- Applying for grants helps get your work out there, and proves that you are serious about success. Be cautious not to apply for grants asking for money. Those often do not have your best interest in mind.
- Start an email campaign writing inquiry letters with information about your art and other aspects of your creative life. Galleries like to know as much about their artists before considering a showing.
- Create a website to start an online gallery. Here you can invite local artists and people with interest in your same medium.
- Become a member of an artist collective gallery. They do require a membership fee, but it is a great way to display your work and start networking.
- When a gallery requests a meeting make sure you express the uniqueness of your work that sets you apart from other artists with the same medium.
- When a gallery shows interest check their roster to see if you know any of the artists listed. This is a great way to get a referral from someone that the gallery already knows.
- When signing with a gallery make sure there is a clear, concise contract signed by both parties that clearly states the galleries cut and your earnings. Read the contract carefully as some want you to sell with them exclusively.
Following these steps is a great start to your creative and financial success.